Thursday, September 8, 2016

Not Just A Ball

For those who might have missed it...last night Christina, Max and I went to “Bark in the Park” at the LI Ducks game. Due to a rainout the previous day, it became a double header. Most of those in attendance with pups left after the first game. Christina and I just moved down closer to the action. As we settled into our new seats a gentleman around my age asked if he could pet Max. Max was already waging his tail like he knew the gentleman his entire life. He said dogs are a good judge of character, and be worried if your dog doesn’t like someone. I noticed he was wearing a black T-shirt that said “The Dogfather”, like the Godfather marquee. The gentleman took a real liking to Max and as he started to go, he said to Max… if he catches a foul ball, he’d give it to him. I joked he’d probably rather have you give him your fries. The gentleman quipped back, fries would be easier…he could BUY those. The gentleman was off to settle in his front row seats.

Around the 4th inning it happened. A high foul pop headed towards us. The third baseman stuck his arm into the stands to reach for it…but it was too far in. I was ready to play the bounce off the concrete floor, but as it hit it bounced up into a row of chairs…and rolled back under the gentleman’s seat. He reached down, picked up the ball, got right up without hesitation and headed straight for us. He gave the ball to Max who gladly took it in his mouth. He said, Max, this is for you…and headed back to his seat. The little bit of crowd remaining applauded the gentleman.



When the inning was over, I walked down the aisle with Max to the gentleman. I told Max to give kisses and thank him, which of course he did. I then asked the gentleman if he wanted the ball back, it was a very nice gesture. He told me to keep it. He then told me he had just lost his dog to cancer. I HAD wondered why the fan with a “Dogfather” shirt on was the only one without a dog. He told me how hard it was to go through chemo with his pup, but he was there with him through it all. Maybe Max sensed that when the gentleman originally came over, and for a moment maybe it helped the gentleman forgot his sorrow. I hope it did, because I will never forget his gesture.


I probably will never see the gentleman again. But I want you to think of him the next time you have an opportunity to do something like this. Somewhere his dog would appreciate it...

3 comments: