Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Iceland - Blue Lagoon

Tuesday, October 2nd, 8:40pm was our flight.  Our arrival time in Iceland was 6:15am the next day.  The team trickled into Terminal 7 at JFK between 6-6:30.  No shock, we all met up at the bar.  We had a toast or two to our upcoming expedition.  Boarding was announced and we were on our way.

Not getting much sleep on the red eye flight, I had hoped to catch a nap at the hotel.  Luckily, I was one of the first to check in.  I received my key card and was off.  I lugged my luggage up to my room.  Before settling in I needed to rendezvous with the tournament organizer, Barry, to receive our bracelets.  These would allow us access to the shuttles back and forth to the rink…plus the party and other perks.  As I passed by the front desk, the last three of our team were checking in.  They called me over and I knew it couldn’t be good news.  Seems one of our group was left off the list…and left without a room.  Since I was on my way to see Barry anyway, I said let me grab him to see where things went astray.  Looking at the list he noticed he had sent an updated one with our last minute addition, however he added it to an old list that was missing one person.  The hotel clerk unfortunately advised us there were no more rooms left.  Since I had a single with 2 separate beds, and my friend was left without a room, I said we should just share my room.

We had about two hours before our departure to the Blue Lagoon.  Both of us being exhausted, we crashed on the beds without even removing the covers.  Then it happened…and Christina would love the irony.  My friend began to snore…and snore so loud I think people down on the street could hear.  My chance for a nap was gone.  Worse yet, there was NO WAY I was going to be able to spend the next four nights with Snorezilla.  I went back down to the lobby to where Barry had been, but no one was there.  I asked the desk clerk where he had gone.  He informed me he went up to his room and surprisingly he gave me the room number.  I don’t think he would have been sold out so quickly in a New York hotel.  As I arrived at the door, there was a “Do Not Disturb” sign adorning the doorknob.  Great.  I turned to walk away, then felt…well, hell, I have been disturbed enough myself already.  No tag would stand in my way.  I knocked on the door and waited.  I knew the first try would not take.  I soon pounded a little harder and I could hear movement.  I could make out a grumble, “I put the bloody sign out there for a reason.”  The door was opened and his head popped out.  I pleaded my case that I had gotten a single room for a reason.  I am a light sleeper and any snorer, even slight, would ruin my trip.  I couldn’t even get some shuteye now before our spa adventure.  I apologized for waking him and he promised to make things right.  I returned to my room to stare at the ceiling as my friend slept.  Soon the alarm clock went off and my friend arose.  He asked me if I was able to catch some sleep.  I informed him of his Fred Flintstone impersonation.  We each packed a bag with our swim trunks and some toiletries and headed to meet up with our group downstairs.  Barry was at the front desk.  True to his word, he made things right.  He was moving to another of the tournament’s hotels.  He had given up his room in our hotel for me.

We arrived at the Blue Lagoon and our driver/tour guide checked us in.  It was at this time I confirmed my in water massage I had booked.  I was good to go.  A few others were now interested.  I had e-mailed the guys days before telling them to book in advance because it usually fills up.  None of them were able to get one once we were there, I would be the only lucky one.  We changed and headed into our geothermal paradise.  Immediately the guys spotted the bar at one end of the pool and swam up for service.  I passed on the beer, since I did not want to have to hold it in while getting a massage.  And, being in the water itself, who knew if I was going to be able to pull off such a daunting task!  We made our way over to the silica mud station.  This mud is placed on your face and is said to gently exfoliate the skin.  We were secure in our metro sexuality.  Once applied we headed back towards the bar area.  Somehow I managed to get it in both my eyes.  No biggie, we were in water…I would just wash it out.  That made it only worse.  I was practically blind.  I was in Scooby Doo flashback scene but perpetually stuck at the blurry point.  On top of it I was not sure if I washed out my contacts when I went under water.  I was a mess.  Luckily I had sunglasses to block my blinded eyes.  I was going to ask for help, but pride got the better of me.  I was able to make some shapes out of the corner of my left eye.  I thought it best to head back to the locker room showers to rinse out the mud.  As I headed towards the building I was able to locate my towel, what I was not able to locate was the automatic swinging door.  And you guessed it…it swung open and hit me right between the eyes.  That didn’t help my vision.  I am glad the team missed that sight.  I cleaned out my eyes not knowing if my contacts remained…as things were still quite a bit blurry…but better.  I had a hard time keeping my eyes open since they still stung from the mud.  I now realized it was almost time for my massage and I needed to head back to the water.  Luckily the automatic door swung only outward.

Once back in the Lagoon, I carefully worked my way over to the massage area.  I was barely able to read the sign telling me to wait until called.  After several minutes a voice rang out with an Irish brogue, “Mr. Walsh?”  I let her know that was me, I also let her know I was mud blinded.  She said something to the effect that the mud was supposed to go AROUND the eyes, not in them.  Yeah, I am well aware of that now.  She took me by my hand and led me like a Seeing Eye masseuse to the private massage pool.  I was placed on a floating mat and a wet towel put on top of me.  As far as massages go, the routine was the same except for every few minutes she would submerse me into the hot water to keep me from getting cold.  I inquired how an Irish girl wound up in Iceland.  She informed me that along with being a sports therapist, she also played semi pro “football”…soccer that is...and came to Iceland to play.  She also worked with the soccer players from the Irish Men’s National Team.  She mentioned it was tough to be a female sports therapist in a male dominated sport.  I pointed out to her that the Steelers head trainer was female and very well respected and had broken down some of those gender barriers.  Mostly I brought it up so I could work the Steelers into the conversation.  Of course Max was worked in there too.  As we conversed we started to hear another conversation.  She told me that when you went under the waterfall, the sound will echo and can be heard in the private pools.  And wouldn’t you know it…those voices came with New York accents.  Here I am trying to relax, and all I can hear is my own team.  At least it gave me a heads up that they were coming to take my picture.

All good things must come to an end, as this massage did.  I wished her good luck in her career and hoped we might run into each other later that week in the bars.  I told her I would have to recognize her by her brogue, as my eyesight had not quite returned.  Having kept my eyes shut during that hour, they had settled down enough to let me at least see.  I made my way back to the in water bar, as I knew that was where my friends would be.  They told me that you were only allowed three beers per person with the bracelet you were issued for payment.  I became very popular when they realized I had not used mine at all.  The guys split my beers and it was time to emerge from the lagoon with our water-wrinkled bodies.

With my eyesight nearly back, and somehow my contacts still in place, we headed towards the Lagoon’s restaurant for some soup and sushi.  A rainbow appeared over the Lagoon, and it was a great sight to see.  “See” being the operative word.  We finished our lunch and got back in the van to head to the hotel…revived and rejuvenated.

And able to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment