Wednesday, April 25, 2012

If you knew Sushi...

If you knew Sushi...
 
Seven years ago Christina and I moved into our new neighborhood in Nesconset in Suffolk County.  The first thing we foodies HAVE to do is seek out the restaurants, from the simple to the eclectic.  Pizza…check, Chinese…check, Mexican…check.  What about Sushi?  Long time stalwart Kotobuki resided in Smithtown…but it was always too crowded (see previous blog).  With a simple surfing search I stumbled upon a little hole in the wall that would make Guy Fieri proud.  Kazu’s Restaurant, a small place with great reviews nestled away on the corner of a strip mall…a Nesconset favorite for over a dozen years.  It was a Mom and Pop, or should I say Mama-san and Papa-san, establishment…Karl and Tae.  Green neon lights touting SUSHI, TERIYAKI, TEMPURA in the window would be the indication they were open for business.  Being a one-man act in the kitchen, Karl kept his own hours…and this glowing beacon told you he was there.



(Christina's 40th Birthday Party)










What we found was the proverbial diamond in the rough…and it was less than a mile from our home.  We became regulars in a place FILLED with regulars.  The regulars became our friends.  Our dinners turned into social events, sometimes lasting 3 or 4 hours.  We would chat and laugh and eat. For those 7 years we would appear once or twice a week.  Sometimes when Christina was busy I would go there by myself, but I was never alone.

About a month ago, Christina had plans with friends…and I did not.  As usual, I took this opportunity to make my way over for Sushi at Kazu.  It was towards the end of the evening, so I was a solo act in the restaurant.  This was not unusual.  I frequently was the last patron at the Sushi Bar (or ANY bar for that matter).  I was his Norm, and he was my Sam…or better put, Samurai.  He was creating a smattering of take out orders.  I started with my usual Spicy Tuna Hand roll, a delightful selection of Yellow Fin Tuna, cut in chunks and lathered with a spicy Japanese mayo.  The fish was so fresh I continued with the Tuna, this time partnered with avocado and seaweed in a salad.  We had our usual chat and the Sake flowed.  I wrapped up with a Kazu special, a tempura fried fluke roll, with a sweet sauce…cleverly named Fish and Chips.

Our evening was over and Karl walked me to the door like so many times before.  He bowed and bid me farewell, and I retorted “See you soon!”.  He turned off the green neon lights and locked the door behind me.  What I was unaware of, this was the last time the green neon lights would glow.

For the last few weeks, when we passed Kazu, we noticed the lights were off.   As I said before, this is nothing new…but we started to get concerned.  Luckily we happened to have a business card from a fellow patron and we left him a message.  Yesterday afternoon Christina received a call back.  He said Karl had closed Kazu’s…he had gone out of business.  They talked for a while, cathartic in a way, reminiscing and realizing what had come to an end.  Christina said she drifted off as they chatted, thinking back…I would do the same a few hours later when she shared the news.  We had worried about Karl himself, since he had had some health issues.  But apparently it was the health of the business that was the issue.

I can’t say that we were surprised.  We had noticed the diminishing numbers in the dining room. When you rely on regulars and, due to the economy, the regulars have to cut back…the business suffers.  Even Christina and I had downsized from once or twice a week, to once or twice a month.  To make matters worse, another Sushi powerhouse moved in.  This was a glitzy, NYC style, high end Sushi place where Jersey Shore meets the Karate Kid.  AJI 53 had come to town.  What little walk in customers Karl had, were gone.

I had a hard time slipping into slumber last night.  I thought of all the wonderful food I had, and would never have again.  I thought of the fun times, the friends we made.  This was a unique place.

As we get further down life’s path, it seems it has more to take away from us.

There is no joy in Nesconset today, the mighty Kazu has struck out.

5 comments:

  1. hate when that happens but,

    'As we get further down life’s path, it seems it has more to take away from us'

    the longer we stick around the more experiences and new places we get to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well written! And so true - especially when you find a favorite spot that you regularly go to. I have seen many favs disappear - even some of the best NYC Greek-owned Diners - due to greedy landlords raising rents to unrealistic numbers. Most are still vacant for years already - so don't really know the point. Anyway - I'm now in the mood for Sushi - I'm now remembering places I miss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad indeed! And yes, very well written Mr. Walsh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should send that to him, Mike. It would mean a lot to him, I would think.

    ReplyDelete