Monday, July 23, 2012

Coin Tails


 Coin Tails

This week the Steelers open their annual summer training camp to prepare for the 2012 NFL season.  For 46 years the Pittsburgh Steelers have held it on the scenic fields of St. Vincent College in Latrobe, PA.  Many teams no longer uphold the tradition of bonding at a college campus.  Instead they prefer to hold it at their own training facilities.  In 1998, I would have the opportunity to attend this yearly ritual.

In 1997 the Steelers came within 3 points of the Superbowl.  However, heartbreak begat optimism for the following season…and I couldn’t have it birthed soon enough.  Midway through March I joined the “Official Steelers Fan Club”.  Jerome Bettis, the Steelers running back nicknamed “the Bus”, sponsored it.  You even received his autographed photo upon payment.  I can hear it now…Geek!...Loser! Perhaps.  But one of the perks of joining was the ability to be down on the field at training camp.  I would take full advantage.

You may have noticed I have a propensity for tying trips together.  This would be no different.  The year before I had attended my first ever air show in Elmira, NY.  I was amazed.  They had held it for several years.  Only thanks to the evolving Internet was I able to discover the show.  I assured myself I would return in 1998.  It was held in early August so I would be able to tie this road trip in with the Steelers training camp.

The first hurricane of the season formed west of Africa.  That’s a long way to come to rain on my parade.  Obviously wind and wet weather would prevent the air show from happening.  But also, in inclement weather, the Steelers move their training camp practice indoors.  No fans allowed.  I held firm to my plans as Alex was downgraded to a tropical storm.  However the remnants could wreak havoc on my travels.

Late Friday morning I was off.  Late being the operative word since I had the girlfriend in tow.  She went along since she enjoyed history and football…I just wasn’t so sure I enjoyed her.  However, I thought it would be nice to have the company on the long drive.  The air show was on Saturday, so we would not miss that.  It was Friday evening I had set up something special.  The museum that sponsored the show offered rides on their B-17 bomber nicknamed “Fuddy Duddy”.  The cost was prohibitive and non refundable if you missed it…hence why I couldn’t be late.  I called ahead to see how the weather was holding up.  Our flight was the only one scheduled that evening so they felt there would be a window of opportunity.

We were running late and my travel companion was only adding to it.  I did not want to miss my dream of flying.  I put the pedal down to make some time.  There's something good waitin' down this road and I did not want to miss whatever is mine.  We arrived only minutes before I was scheduled to take off.   I ran into the museum’s main building and informed the curator of my plight.  “Mr. Walsh, I am sorry, you missed them.  They have already left for the tarmac.”  I looked back over my shoulder, but my girlfriend was scarce.  She knew better.  It was then the walkie-talkie squawked.  The plane was being delayed by weather.  The curator responded to them that I had arrived.  The voice urged her to get me out to the runway as quick as possible.  As soon as the weather cleared we were taking off.  I was rushed out the back door and into an awaiting jeep.  I would make it.  The weather soon cleared and we were off.

On Saturday, the air show went off without a hitch.  The rain stayed south and the wind remained acceptable.  Sunday morning we departed for Latrobe.  Practice started at 2:30pm.  The rain, however, was already there.  As we made the long drive down we were greeted with a constant downpour.  The storm was heading north and it was my opinion we were passing through what had hit Latrobe hours earlier.  I felt the practice would go on as scheduled.  My girlfriend was of a different opinion, and she had no problem sharing it.  She wanted to cut our journey short and head home.  The weatherman on the radio said it was a 50% chance of rain in Latrobe.  My girlfriend informed me that with those odds I might as well just toss up a coin.  Luckily the rain and the radio drowned her out.

We arrived at St Vincent’s college in plenty of time…surprisingly.  The sun was now shining but the field was still wet.  We checked in with the person running the Steelers Fan Club.  The team had not yet announced if they were still holding the afternoon practice outdoors.  We were informed everyone was in a “wait and see” mode…it could go either way.  I believe my girlfriend pulled out a quarter to show me.  But this day I was in luck.  Here came the team out of the college’s gym and down the steps to the filed.  Game on!  Jerome Bettis came over to greet us.  His gregarious personality almost as gigantic as the gentleman himself.  We watched for over an hour as they ran through drills.  They then set up a scrimmage with Bettis in the backfield.  On the 3rd carry it happened.  He slipped on the wet grass and fell to the ground grabbing his leg.  He was done for the day.

The rain I wished away left enough of a calling card to dampen the entire 1998 season.  Jerome Bettis seemed to be haunted by that injury all year.  Even so, the Steelers were 7-4 heading into a Thanksgiving matchup in Detroit, Bettis’ hometown.  He was made an honorary team captain for the game.  With that came the calling of the opening coin toss…ironic.  His duties were doubled that day as the game headed into overtime.  It was from this second coin toss that the Steelers would never recover.  Steeler players are instructed to always call “Tails”…it is just the way it is.  Jerome watched the airborne coin and shouted out “Tails”.  The referee heard “Heads”.  The coin landed and displayed tails.  Jerome thought he had won.  The ref informed him otherwise.  The Steelers lost the coin toss, they lost first chance with the ball, they lost the game…and they would lose the next, and last, 4 games that season.

I had won my “toss of the coin” with the weather that August afternoon.  But it seems that season the Steelers lost all of theirs.  My luck with the weather led to a long year for Jerome Bettis.  From the training camp injury to the famous phantom “Heads” call.  In 1997 they just missed going to the Superbowl.  Now in 1998, they would not even make the playoffs.  It all culminated with a coin in Detroit.  Jerome would have his revenge though.  The next time he would return to play in Detroit, the Steelers would be in the Superbowl.  He led the team out of the tunnel that day…and on to victory.

The NFL changed the coin toss rules after that 1998 season.  The words “call it in the air” that have always been a staple, even in playgrounds, are no more.  You now have to call it before the coin is tossed.  The referee even repeats your choice back to you to make sure.  This was recently spoofed in a Papa John’s Superbowl commercial.  Jerome Bettis comes out to call the coin toss.  He finds Peyton Manning dressed as a referee ready to do the honor.  Jerome calls “Tails”.

Peyton says, “Heads, he said Heads.”

No comments:

Post a Comment