Monday, September 17, 2012

Sunday Stroll

Sunday Stroll

Sunday I woke up feeling a bit under the weather.  I was hobbled with an injured foot, a gift given to me when I thought I was young enough to run with Max.  This, plus a digestive system still topped off with fine fair from the previous night.  It took all my energy to relocate from the bed to the couch.  The weather outside was a preview of a beautiful fall to come.  Had it been rain, I might not have moved at all.  Christina and I had planned to go to the Smithtown Heritage Country Fair.  As she took Max for a walk, I conjured up enough energy to go.  And I am glad I did.


Uncle Giuseppe’s Marketplace, Ocean’s Bounty Fish Market, Aji 53 Sushi, Three Guy’s Hobbies and the Smithtown LIRR train station.  These are among our destinations that take us past the Smithtown Historical Society’s sign.  Passing it each time, we never really gave it much thought…until one day.  As we passed, we saw one of those “Old Timey” baseball games going on in the fields behind.  We didn’t have time to stop, as we were on our way to one of those aforementioned destinations.  Unfortunately as quickly as we drove by, the thought of it exited our minds.  We had plans, and there were no deviations.  I recently saw a flyer in the paper, and Christina saw the same one on the way to Croxley’s Ale House.  Yes, I know it sounds like it should have been reversed.  The Smithtown Historical Society was having a Country Fair.  We both thought back to the baseball games we had seen played and realized this would be a good opportunity to attend.  But wait, it was on a Sunday and it was from 11am to 5pm!  Time to check the Steelers’ schedule…game time 4:25.  We were good to go.

I kept to the plan, even though I did not feel 100%...or 50% for that matter.  I will say Smithtown did a good job of handling traffic, both car and pedestrian, for the event.  As we arrived at the entrance we were handed a map.  A map?  I had no idea sitting behind the roadside sign was several acres owned by the Society.  As I found where we were on the map, Christina quietly inquired, “Where is the Brush Barn?”  It was straight ahead.  She had seen a sign stating, “Ukrainian Folk Dancing at 11:00”.  Well, it was 11 and being of Ukrainian decent, she wanted to go.  Figuring I would be a downer, I surprised her with a “Let’s Go”.  I was interested, but it was mostly because I figured I could sit down in there.  I must say, I was quite impressed.  The energy and the coordination were impressive, as where the costumes.  It took Christina back to her youth, when she would see similar recitals.  I would compare it to what most of us think of as “Russian” dancing from old television sitcoms.  But don’t tell a Ukie that!

The next event we were treated to was from the Long Island Riders.  On their horses, they put on a "Cowboy" shooting demonstration.  As they rode through obstacles, they had to shoot and hit several targets.  I don’t think they missed.  We then headed towards the Civil War encampments, but what caught Christina’s eye were the barnyard animals.  I had no idea of the expanse of this place.  As we passed the soldiers, one turned to me and in a quiet voice, and like passing along a secret, “You want to be at the end of the parking lot at 12:30.”  I knew they were doing a reenactment…now I had the time and the place.  It also made Christina happy because we now had ample time to feed the animals.  We soon headed towards the parking lot, and we came upon the baseball field.  The “Old Timey” baseball players were practicing and a Gent, handle bar mustache and all, manned a tent up front.  He had old artifacts and rules, baseballs and bats of all sizes and shapes.  He regaled us of the game and how it used to be played.  Unfortunately a match was not scheduled for this day, but we did learn of ones to come.

It was approaching 12:30, so we worked our way over to the designated spot I was informed of.  The Union soldiers went by us in formation..and we followed.  As they turned past the high hedges to an open area, you could see the Confederate soldiers already occupying the end of the field.  A battle ensued as the Confederates charged forward.  The Union held their ground.  I believe they were inspired by the SUV parked near them.  Apparently someone did not get the memo “No Parking in this area”.  Outside of that one modern day blemish, it took you back to the 1860’s.  The Union would attack and push the Confederate back to the tree line.  Despite losses, they advanced on.  They were able to capture the rebel flag and win the day.  This was only a 10 on 10 man battle.  A friend, who I ran into at the fair, also participates in these historical civil war reenactments.  He said their groups contain thousands of men.  I can only imagine.

It was now after 1pm and the NFL was in full swing.  We still had time, so I wanted to peruse the antique car collection.  A blue grass band played alongside the grass lot to prove even more ambiance.  We strolled through the pristine sedans.  I enjoyed the history and the excellent restoration of these automobiles.  I am not as familiar with old cars as I am with old planes.  And that is when the PA announcement came.  "We will have a fly-by of historical planes in about 15 minutes.Shortly we were treated to 7 or 8 vintage aircraft buzzing the field.  A perfect way to end the day.

I am used to spending my time before games a little differently.  At home tailgating, taking in every NFL pregame talk show with beer and perhaps some wings.  Today was a little different, taking a step back in time.

And it actually made me feel a little bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment