Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hard Day's Night

Hard Day's Night


Yesterday, Christina was staying at a friend’s so Max and I would have a boys-night at home.  Unfortunately I wound up having to work late.  I felt bad for Max that he had to wait a little longer to be let out.  When I got home he greeted me like it was any other night…of course it was directly out to do business first.  Afterwards, he did seem to have a look of concern.  Maybe he felt that it was his fault I was away so long.  I tried to reassure him with words that this was not the case.  Cesar says don’t place human emotions on a dog.  I say F*@K him.  He never met Max.


When it was time to retire, Max took Christina’s side of the bed.  He would have one of his worst nights yet.  I could feel the bed quiver even before his midnight terrors began.  I would wake him and wait for a tail wag and a kiss…a sign he was fully awake and pulled from his panic.  As we fell back asleep, whatever haunted him returned.  We continued the waking routine through most of the night.  Before I left for work in the morning, I sat with him a bit.  I did not want to leave him alone to his dreams.

As with arriving home late, I wish he could tell me what it was that brought him to this dark place.  It reminded me of something someone sent to me.  The 10 Things Your Dog Would Tell You if he could talk… and I address each with Max in mind.

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful: remember that before you get me:

Of course this one hit me right away since it applied directly to my late arrival home.  I have more separation anxiety from you Max, than you have from me...trust me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

Max listens to every word I say, head tilted when he does not quite recognize the meaning.  I actually have to be careful, as my words are not always intended for him.  At first, when I yelled at a sporting event on TV, which I tend to do from time to time, he would head into his cage.  After a few treats and an explanation, he now doesn't move from the couch.  Daddy’s crazy, he gets that now.

3. Place your trust in me- it is crucial to my well-being.

When we first got Max, Christina wanted her Dad to meet him.  Apparently, what she never knew was that her Dad was hesitant around large dogs.  Are you sure you are his daughter?  I would show him how much trust I had in Max.  I opened Max’s mouth wide and would place my face between his teeth.  My Father-in-law and Max are now good friends.

4. Do not be angry with me for long, and do not lock me up as punishment.

I try not to be angry with Max, but it happens…like with a spouse, co-workers and friends too.  It is how you handle that anger that matters.  Max was trained to get a time out in his cage.  With the command “CAGE”, he knows he did something wrong and off he goes.  There are times he does something wrong and he puts HIMSELF in the cage.  See if any of YOUR kids give themselves their own timeout!  Max, I am never really angry with you...you are my spoiled child, you do no wrong...and in all honesty, for the most part you haven't.  Sometimes you just need a little encouragement to do the right thing.

5. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. I only have you.

While I am at work, my entertainment and with my friends, all I do is want to be with you and I talk about you...I know, my friends are tired of it.  Oh, and check out this blog entry.

6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it is speaking to me.

I talk to Max all the time, he listens better than Christina!  I don’t dumb it down for him either. I find myself talking in full sentences and he seems to understand.

7. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget.

I am only too aware of this because of your treatment from your previous owner.  Apparently you have not forgotten…even as hard as we try to erase it with good thoughts.  And I know how you feel about me.  I saw how you greeted me upon my return from New Orleans...if we got that on video we might have been 10,000 bucks richer!

8. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily hurt you, but I choose not to bite you because I love you.

Refer back to the part where I am putting my face in his mouth.

9. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I might not be getting the right food, or I have been out too long, or my heart is getting to old and weak.

Scold? Like Max, stop giving me so many kisses I need to breathe.  I try and understand his needs…but isn’t this the point of this blog…I WISH he could just tell me!

10. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say: "I cannot bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there, even my death.

This will be the hardest thing I will ever have to do.  But you have earned it from me.  For all the good things you have given to me, and the ones that are still to come…I will be there for you.  I will not let you travel your final journey alone.  I will hold you and sing you your song…as you head off for your final slumber.

Maybe then you will only have good dreams…


2 comments:

  1. beautiful! I am so glad I was with Daisy in her final days and minutes. She is truly resting in peace. I saw it for myself. I WAS with her! <3 Remembering the good days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mike! This is so beautiful! Wish I could meet sweet Max! Everything in this blog is so, so true! If only we could all love as a dog loves! We are so blessed to have them love us - in spite of ourselves! Thanks for the teary smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete