Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Spending The Hours - Part II

Spending The Hours - Part II


Summer breeze
Makes me feel fine
Blowing through the jasmine in my mind
-Seals and Croft

Max settled back down next to me.  My refreshed drink helped restart the reminiscing.  As it was still Memorial Day my thoughts turned to the reason we had this day off.  As my summers would march on from this day, the weekend following I would pay tribute.  There is a yearly event in Reading, PA at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum where they transform their tarmac back in time.  It is the annual World War II Weekend, and of course I would attend.

With Memorial Day now in the rearview mirror, I headed off to Pennsylvania to rendezvous with college comrades.  Catching up with them at happy hour of their Friday furlough, we would formulate the weekend’s plan of attack.  On Saturday morning we headed to Reading Regional Airport, but when we arrived it would be Spaatz Field and the 1940’s.  Planes buzzed overhead, as you made your way through the military encampments below.  Over the loud speakers you could listen to Glen Miller's band…and it was better than before.  Re-enactors were everywhere…armed and ever playing the part.  You felt that you were the one out of time and place.  In the hangar however, were the real heroes.  Lines formed for a handshake, a photo and an autograph…and an all around “Thank You” for allowing us to be here today.

One of those times I had the opportunity to meet Captain Morgan.  No, not the pirate of rum fame.  This was Captain ROBERT Morgan; pilot of the famous plane made movie, Memphis Belle…where a young Matthew Modine amply portrayed him.  There was some playful banter between Captain Morgan and a P-51 pilot located at another table.  Morgan was the more stoic of the two and rarely took the bait.  Realizing he was the instigator, the P-51 pilot proudly proclaimed…”We fighter pilots are all pompous jerks, and that helped keep us alive in those hostile skies”.  Morgan nodded in agreement, as he knew they had bailed out his bombers many a time.  If you did not see the movie Memphis Belle, it was centered on the first bomber crew to complete its tour of duty…25 missions.  Not one had ever survived that many before.  Obviously, they made it…otherwise no movie…and more importantly, no Captain Robert Morgan sitting in front of me.  What the movie did not tell you was even more amazing about this gentleman.  After he completed the 25 missions, and after being sent home as a hero and selling war bonds for the cause…he went back.  He would fly an additional 24 bombing missions over Japan.

In the summers following, I would go back excited to see him again.  One year when I arrived, I noticed something was not quite right.  His booth was there, but gone were the lines of people, the photographers, the autograph seekers…and Captain Robert Morgan himself.  During that year, we had lost our hero to time…and somehow our society failed to let us all know.  Well, I am doing that now.

On Sunday of the same weekend, in the neighboring area, was the Manayunk bicycle race.  Nice…a two-fer!  This event is a scenic 156-mile classic through the city and outlying suburbs of Philadelphia.  It is revered as the longest running and most important single-day road race in the country.  This year there was a pre-race buzz. A young all-America bike rider, a 21-year-old Texan, a professional for only nine months, was competing…Lance Edward Armstrong.

Our Sunday would start Saturday night…and as any race enthusiast would tell you, it is the party before the party that counts.  The town of Manayunk was shut down to traffic in preparation.  The streets were prepped for the race and those lucky to live along the path put forth the parties.  My friend knew the locals so we were invited to partake.   Come Sunday morning, I was told there is only one place to see the race…the top of “The Wall”.  While it sounds innocent enough, upon seeing it, Roger Waters might have altered his lyrics.  The Manayunk Wall is a cruel, thigh-shredding half-mile uphill incline.  I was amazed they had to cycle up this, then I was more amazed to learn I would have to walk up it!

Sunday morning arrived, and me and my hangover headed up “The Wall” to our pre-race positioning.  While this half mile incline may not seem like much, walk it some day…dehydrated from the night before, lugging a wheel-less cooler of beer, in 80+ degree sticky Philly suburb weather…then get back to me.  By mid morning we would arrive at our perch.  Directly a top “The Wall” was a VFW.  It was opened to the public and provided restrooms, but with a catch…you would have to buy one of their beers first.  Yep, I accept your terms.  On the first lap I realized the pot of gold at the end of our rainbow.  While those who sat low, or on street corners or straight-aways caught a fleeting glimpse…”The Wall” provided us with a still shot.  As the cyclers reached the pinnacle of their struggle up the incline, it was like they were motionless…hanging in mid air.  They would be able to hear every decibel of your encouragement.  You could easily identify the riders…and the one we all came to see...and Lance Armstrong would win the race easily that day.

We would have many years with the flying and cycling summer weekend.  I had always found it fitting to combine the two since the Wright Brothers were originally bicycle makers.  They used this endeavor to fund their growing interest in flight. This one weekend however, would be the only special weekend to combine two legends, Captain Robert Morgan and Lance Armstrong.  I am going to go out on a limb and guess which one you knew about before this blog…

Max and I now both had to pee…one of us used the bathroom, the other the bushes…at this point I am not sure who did which.  I returned to my chaise lounge to continue my journey.  As Max arrived back, I patted my own little legend on his head.

I sat there disappointed that this weekend did not include the local Jones Beach airshow.  But as I reminisced, I was glad I was able to attend the one held years earlier in Reading.

Before I missed a chance to meet a hero.



No comments:

Post a Comment