Thursday, May 31, 2012

Spending The Hours - Part III


Spending The Hours - Part III

Sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do
'Cause there ain't no cure for the summertime blues
 -Eddie Cochran

With both Max and my bladders emptied, it was easier to drift back off to my summer soul-tice.   Wrapping up my thoughts of the Manayunk bike race, I came to a horse of a different color…well actually horses themselves.  Growing up in Valley Stream, if the wind blew the wrong way, you could smell the manure.  Farms? Nope…it was the stables at Belmont Race Track.  While friends during High School would ditch to go there to place a wager, it was a certain Summer Saturday in June we would all look forward to...The Belmont Stakes.

The Friday night before the big race we would do all the prep work.  Beer and booze of all types were packed in an armada of igloos.  A designated few would be our first wave to the park.  I was single, and had no problem indulging before noon, so I was among them.  We would arrive before the gates would open.  Once we could enter, it would be a free for all to find a perfect spot.  Shade and a TV to watch the races was key.  Once our coolers claimed our stake, we would hunt out park benches like we were kids looking for Easter eggs.  These were more prized than a golden ticket.  Once dragged back to our encampment we would have to fend off attacking inquiries.  Onlookers were annoyed it was one man per bench…but each one of us would sit solitarily upon them keeping others at bay…until reinforcements arrived.

It was 1989 and this particular day the crowd was enhanced by the chance at a Triple Crown.  It had been just over 10 years that Affirmed had accomplished this feat and racing enthusiasts were getting antsy.  Ironically, now it has been another 22 years without one and this year, I’ll Have Another, will try and break that streak.  The 1970’s provided 3 of these champions, but this race would be the last chance for the 80’s.   It was Sunday Silence’s turn to make the loudest noise.  This race was turning out to not only be just another run at the Triple Crown…but a battle between two magnificent horses.  The other horse, Easy Goer, had given Sunday Silence all he could handle.  Their battle at the Preakness, the 2nd Jewel of the Triple Crown, was legendary.  So close was this race that the stretch duel itself would be immortalized on ABC's Wide World of Sports prelude for 12 years…depicting the agony of defeat.

The Belmont Stakes would be one of the last races.  We would have a whole day of food and festivities beforehand.  As the morning turned to afternoon, the crew trickled in.  With each arrival our alcohol was enhanced.  Soon dozens of friends joined the original six.  Our female counterparts arrived with a prepared selection of foods as we were not responsible enough to go beyond imbibing.  Certain revelers we would not see but once a year.  Old friends would soon get reacquainted.  All afternoon people would flow in and out of our park bench fortress.  However, we would all gather around our TV once post time for the big race approached.  Most wagered that Sunday Silence would take the day.  But the horsewhisper among us knew the distance of the race, nicknamed "Test of the Champion", would be his undoing.

Sunday Silence would not prevail this day…it was not even close.  Easy Goer would win by several lengths.  All of us went home disappointed…well, all but one.

The evening was wearing on and Max let out one of his patented big yawns.  I looked at him and laughed.  Only recently had he been introduced to horses.  Max looked at them as if they were big dogs and he wanted to play…I think the horses had other ideas.  It reminded me that I would not be attending this years running of the Belmont Stakes and the next shot at a Triple Crown.  I was in full reminisce mode at this point and ironically thought, well, I guess…

I’ll Have Another…




1 comment:

  1. I could almost hear the horses running around the track. I'm sure I could smell the beer! Being I am so much older than you . . . I vividly remember the excitement when Secretariat won the Triple Crown in 1973, after 25 years since the last one. Your blogs are stirring my old memory!

    ReplyDelete