Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Buc Me

Buc Me


The other day I spoke about playing hockey…well, mostly drinking, but it started with hockey.  I thought back at the path that led me to that new bar the other night…and how I wound up playing with this hockey team oh so long ago.

I lived at home after college for around a year.  Adjusting back to living under someone’s roof was not easy.  I was working part time looking for something more permanent.  From Friday to Monday I would disappear to various friends apartments, as I needed to escape.  There was a reason I went AWAY to college.  During the week I would play open hockey down at Long Beach Ice Arena.  The times were late, usually after midnight.  We would have a few beers in the parking lot after and then go grab a bite to eat…at whatever place we could find open.  I would get home as the birds began chirping.  This put me on vampire hours.  It allowed me to avoid the other occupants in the house.  As much as I wanted to, I couldn’t keep this up forever.

Soon I obtained a full time job and promptly moved out.  I was gone from the house, but also gone was the late night hockey.  To play at a reasonable hour I would have to join a team.  I had read about the NNHA hockey league.  It was an adult league that played in cities throughout the country…and lucky for me, also Long Island.  The league had tryouts.  We were not professionals so everyone would make it.  It was just a matter of making sure you were placed on a team commensurate with your talent.

The tryout was in a few weeks.  I had not played in a while so I sucked it up for a late night skate.  It was about halfway through the pick up game that it happened.  The puck squirted down ice towards the net.  I chased the puck as the goalie came out to poke it away from me.  We arrived at the same time.  My right knee…yes the bad knee…collided with his.  I flipped over the goalie.  I was helped off the ice…right knee bent and skate off the ice.  I was attempting to prepare for the tryout, and now it seemed I might miss it altogether.

The days that followed were filled with ice packs.  The swelling went down, but the knee was still stiff.  The night before the tryout, my roommate and I were relaxing, and I was going to call it an early night.  I had not skated in three weeks and thought it best to take it easy on the knee.  Then we got a call from a friend whose train just got home from the city.  I did not want to go out, but after a little convincing, off we went to the Railroad Inn.  It was around 11ish when we arrived and my friend was already fried.  Happy we joined, the first few rounds were on him.  As he began to fade, my roommate and I hit our stride.  Even as the bar cleared out, we were well involved in a two-man video game.  The quarters and drinks continued to disappear.  It was now 5am…and even the Railroad Inn has to close sometimes.  We woke our friend, now asleep at the bar, and walked home.  Tryouts where at 10am.

Asleep at 5:30.  Awake at 8:30.  The vodka barely had time to settle.  A quick cold shower did little to help.  A piece of toast in hand and I was off to Bryan Trottier’s skating academy in Port Washington.  I had looked up the address the previous night on a map…no, not Google or Yahoo…Rand McNally.  Only one thing I didn’t know, the town had TWO Seaview Blvds.  I arrived on time but I found myself in a residential neighborhood.  I couldn’t imagine an ice rink would be among the mansions.  I luckily located a local and inquired about the rink.  I was told I wanted the OTHER Seaview clear across town.  Great.

I arrived at the rink late, tired and probably over the legal limit.  Skaters were already warming up on the ice as I scrambled to check in.  I skated a few laps around the rink…and guess what, no pain in my knee!  Maybe it was the anxiety of the tryout or the stress of rushing to the rink…but more likely it was the vodka still coursing through my veins.  The knee held up…even though I barely did.  I could only imagine the team that would wind up selecting me.  A few days later I received a call from the league.  I was selected by the Buccaneers.  The league was a stickler for uniform uniforms.  The NFL’s Buccaneers first came to mind and I thought where the hell am I going to get a bright orange hockey pants.   Luckily I would soon find out the team’s main color was blue.  The league itself was expensive enough but I would also have to buy home and away jerseys…around $100 a piece. 

The first game was scheduled for the 20 game season.  October 21st, 1990 at that same Port Washington rink.  I showed up early, and sober…I did not want a repeat performance.  My teammates had not yet arrived.  I came across the captain of the other team.  I asked him about the Bucs, and he just chuckled.  “Good luck, they were 1-17-2 last season…they probably won’t even have a team after this year.”  Great, and I just invested all this money for the team’s jerseys.  I didn’t want to have to buy new ones the following year.  In warm ups my new team looked much better than their previous record.  We wound up tying 2-2 that game.  I didn’t figure in the scoring, but the knee held up in its first real test.  I later found out this was a revamped Bucs team.  Many of the previous players had not returned.  We would go 6-10-2 my first year.  It would be the Bucs only losing season in the next 12 years.

This year the team celebrates its 25-year anniversary, and for me it will be my 23rd year playing with them.  The core of the team still remains.  I would eventually have to buy new jerseys, but only because they no longer fit…

And I didn’t get any taller.

No comments:

Post a Comment