Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Spending The Hours - Conclusion


Spending The Hours - Conclusion

Now as the years roll on
Each time we hear our favorite song
The memories come along
Older times we're missing
Spending the hours…reminiscing
-The Little River Band

Max was now fully asleep on his back, his 4 paws protruding into the air.  I hoped his sleep would be peaceful and he was reminiscing of the good times as I was.  Winding down to a conclusion, I began to think back how summers past would conclude.  Labor Day was never a favorite.  As a kid it meant the summer was over and back to school.  As an adult, you are reminded they give you this one lousy day for a year’s worth of laborious work.  There was one thing I was always able to look forward too back then…Labor Day weekend brought with it the start of NFL season.

It was 1993 and this Labor Day weekend, like many after, would start in the Hamptons.  Saturday would be like any other day, but it would be my last one of the season.  While others looked forward to a Boardy Barn Sunday, I prepped for my departure.  This final weekend was dubbed Last Chance Labor Day…since this was your final opportunity to…well…do all the things you didn’t do all summer long…or maybe just to do them again.  My roommate, never one to pass up ANY opportunity, had taken this to heart.  It was Sunday morning and I woke up somewhere…lets just leave it at that.  After a quick shower, it was time to leave my summer behind.  Unfortunately my previous packing was residing in my room…and so was my roommate…and he was not alone.  I allowed him some time, but my window to make the game was closing.  My knocking not answered, I just gave them a head’s up…”Naked or Not, here I come!”.  I was more surprised with who he was with than they were about my boldness…didn’t see THAT coming.  Anyway…Sorry, dude…it’s the Steelers…and I had to go.

My Steelers viewing would be at Mulcahy’s.  When I returned home from college it was back to the Jets and Giants on TV every weekend.  Many a week during the 1989 season I was stuck watching a meaningless game while my team had a magical run to the playoffs.  I couldn’t sit on the sidelines another season.  I inquired around for a pub that had a satellite dish…and Mulcahy’s was that place.  Steeler fans from around the Island gathered here.  I was home.  Steeler Nation was a term not yet bantered about, but that is what I had found.  Each Sunday we would gather for the games and at the end of the season we would say our goodbyes.  We would meet again next Labor Day Weekend.

For 15 years I never missed an opening day at Mulcahy’s.  This led to me being interviewed by Steve Zipay of Newsday...got my picture in the paper and everything.  Eventually, the NFL decided to move the start of the season away from Labor Day Weekend.  In the years that followed I moved out east and opted for the NFL package.  My attendance at Mulcahy’s began to dwindle.  Last year was the first time in 22 years that I did not make a single game.

I was now fading fast on the couch.  The same couch that in only a few short months Christina, Max and I will welcome in the Steeler season…my OWN little Steeler nation.  My eyes were now closed and I wrapped up my thoughts.  I was reminded of a song that we played at our wedding.  As much as my summers past were filled with fun…and apparently lots of beer…the words still rang true.

Look around me
I can see my life before me
Running rings around the way it used to be
-Crosby, Stills and Nash


2 comments:

  1. This whole "series" was so well written. Loved traveling through the years and adventures of your past. And just as we all feel on any typcial Labor Day Weekend - sad to see it's over - BUT - looking forward to the season ahead!

    ReplyDelete