Monday, June 25, 2012

Here I am at Camp Granada

Here I am at Camp Granada


In the spring of 1983, my friends and I were approaching the end of our high school careers.  We felt we needed a place to celebrate, somewhere away from all watchful eyes.  The idea was born to go on a camping trip.  The first one would be at the end of our senior year.  It would eventually become a tradition for the next several summers.  It was always a nice escape from reality.  The gang had gathered once again after we all returned from our inaugural year in college.  Immediately on the agenda was planning another camping trip.  The naysayers told us that it was not really camping, all you guys are doing is drinking in the woods.  What’s your point?

Friday would be our departure day.  I had only been home a few weeks and I couldn’t wait to get out of the house.  I originally offered up a different weekend. This one happened to coincide with graduation at our alma mater…and I wanted to attend.  Friday morning came and I was able to head to the high school for a little while.  A few friends followed.  I didn’t think my ex would be there since she was still a junior.  I was wrong.  Forgotten was the fact that the school band played for the ceremony, and she was in it.  I had not seen her since last summer.  Funny how ex’s seem to look better after you are no longer with them.  Another year of being a teenager was pushing her into womanhood.  And she wore it well.  We couldn’t stick around long since we needed to finish prepping for our trip, so she never knew I was there.  I would have liked a chance to rekindle.  Maybe it was for the best I would be getting away for the next few days.

Besides graduation, there was another reason I did not want to go this particular weekend.  The Michigan Panthers had a playoff game that Saturday.  During our senior year the USFL was created.  My friends and I, being football fanatics, all chose a favorite team.  My team would be the Michigan Panthers.  They would go on to win the first USFL Championship.  This was now year two of the fledgling league and the Panthers were prepared to repeat.  Knowing I was going to miss the game, Mom would record it on the VCR…she was good like that.  Over the weekend I tried not to find out the score, but that never works.  It made the news since it was the longest professional football game ever played.  The Panthers field goal kicker would have two tries to end the game in overtime, and he failed at each one.  Steve Young, yes that Steve Young, would eventually lead the L.A. Express to victory in triple overtime.  Knowing the outcome I never wound up watching the game.  The Michigan Panthers were disbanded during that offseason.  This game would be the last they would ever play.

With the preparation done I began picking up passengers.  I arrived at the first friend’s house.  A few months earlier another one of our friends had started dating his sister, breaking a bit of an unwritten rule.  The dater was not coming with us on this trip, but his car was parked out front.  My friend noticed the windows were open and a baseball, a foul ball from a Yankee game, was displayed on the dash.  As we were leaving he removed it from its resting place.  A little payback perhaps.  It was a year earlier that six of us trekked out to Yankee Stadium.  We would sit in foul territory along the right field line…why?  Well, Lou Piniella played right field…enough said.  They were playing Texas that night and Billy Sample lined a hard foul…and it was heading right towards the group.  It deflected off a fan’s hands a few rows in front of us, hit the seats behind us, and rolled under our row.  It was bedlam for the ball, something out of the WWF.  I don’t think I ever saw it while I was in this scrum.  Eventually one of us crawled out into the aisle for relief…and the ball was there waiting for him.  Ever since that day it found a home in his car, until now.  Later that day while camping, we would use that ball for a catch.  An errant throw and it disappeared in the brush.  We searched for it but to no avail.  Well, I never caught a foul ball, but I CAN say I have lost one.  Hmm, I hope he doesn’t read this….

We finally arrived.  It was late June and the extended daylight would give us ample time to set up camp.   We had carted a couple of kegs, as we were tired of dragging cases of beer…along with the challenge of keeping them cool.  A simple central station for suds could be easily iced.  The campfire was lit and the food was grilled.  As the night wore on, the gang crashed one by one.  Most had worked that day and it had been a long four-hour trip upstate.  Only myself and the first friend I picked up remained awake.

I was glad to get away from Valley Stream.  Things had changed for me while I was away that first year in college.  When I returned home, I felt all of that fading away.  I was falling back into old habits.  It was, however, nice to see some old friends…I hear it is good for the soul.  That night we were treated to a meteor shower.  My friend and I sat upon the hood on my car, backs against the windshield, eyes towards the sky.  It was a stunning celestial show.

For all the reasons to come out here, this seemed to be the best of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment