Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Wild About Harry

Wild About Harry


I was flipping through channels the other day and came across Law and Order.  I know, what a shock…it is on more than Seinfeld.  It was an older episode with Lenny Briscoe, portrayed by Jerry Orbach.  Law and Order used to be a weekly ritual for me but I never watched it much after he left the show.  He would appear in 274 episodes.

As many of you know, I used to work for the North Shore Animal League.  I was lucky enough to get the chance to meet many a celebrity that lent their name to support the orphaned animals.  I was not in Public Relations…I ran the Computer Department.  However, I happened to share the same part of the office building with PR.  This led to my staff and I being asked to assist with events, and for that we would be rewarded.  Among the opportunities I had were to go to Yankee Stadium to meet Paul O’Neill, to a recording studio to meet LeAnn Rimes and, in 2003, I had lunch with Mr. Jerry Orbach.

I had seen Mr. Orbach in person years before, not across a table, but up on the stage…and I didn’t even know it.  It was May of 1983 and many a classmate was preparing for the prom.  A close friend of mine came up with an alternate agenda.  Instead of actually attending the prom itself, we would bypass it and go out on the town.  I didn’t mind missing my prom.  I was not about to be named Prom King nor did I care to see the majority of kids hitting their only peak.  Anyway, most of my other friends would not be attending.  It was an easy sell to my girlfriend too.  She was a sophomore and would have her own prom in a few years.  Four other couples would happily join us.  We did it right too, dressed to the nines…limos and all.   Sent off by parents and pictures our limos whisked us away to our first stop, dinner at Mama Mia’s.  We dined like royalty, feeling sorry for those eating lesser fare at the prom.  After indulging, it was the show part of the proverbial “Dinner and a Show”.  It was off to Broadway!  Our choice was the play 42nd Street.  I was not familiar with it or the actors.  However, I was taken aback by the booming baritone of the lead male character.

It wasn’t until a few years later that I found out who that actor was.  I no longer had the playbill from that night, nor the girlfriend for that matter.  Also, keep in mind too there was no IMDB, let alone the internet.  We did have televisions…I am not THAT old.  It was a Sunday evening in 1986 and my TV was still tuned to channel 2 after a football game.  Pat Summerall was right...it was “Murder, She Wrote…coming up after 60 Minutes on CBS, except for those of you on the West Coast”.  Shortly thereafter I heard the voice, THAT voice.  I turned towards the tube and there he was, Harry McGraw.  The same guy I had seen on stage three years earlier.  A quick flip through the TV guide and his identity was revealed.

Lunch was a catered in affair, held in the conference room of our new office building.  About 10 people were invited to attend and I among them.  Mr. Orbach sat across from me, his 2nd wife Elaine to my right.  Mr. Orbach regaled us with stories of the Law and Order set.  At one point I thought he was still in Lenny Briscoe character.  I had brought with me my 20-year-old ticket stub from 42nd Street…I didn’t save much from that “prom” night, but I still had that.  I thought Mr. Orbach would get a kick out of it and I told him the story attached with it.  He joked “What, did you find this in an old Tux?”  He went on to speak about Broadway as he handed me back the ticket.  I leaned into his wife and said quietly, “Do you think Mr. Orbach might sign this for me?”  She quickly interrupted her husband, “Jerry, why didn’t you sign it for the kid?”  A comical banter began back and forth with Mr. Orbach mumbling to her, “Well, he didn’t ask…”  Lunch was a rap and he signed my ticket.  Mr. Orbach then gave me a hardy handshake goodbye and his wife gave me a peck on the cheek.

The following year, at North Shore’s awards luncheon, I would briefly get to visit with Jerry Orbach again…before his passing in 2004.

He asked me if I had any more tickets for him to sign…

3 comments:

  1. I remember that day so well - pretty good since I don't remember too much lately - haha! I love telling people I had a tuna sandwich with Jerry Orbach! I too had seen him in 42nd Street (many years before) and was so mad when you had your ticket stub signed - because I DID have a playbill at home. Also was a true Law & Order fan with Lenny Briscoe - on and off afterwards! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always loved him, and he had the best last line of the opening scene to his Law & Order episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my wife had the distinct pleasure of working with elaine on the book "remember how i love you," which contained love notes that jerry left for her every day. (http://stonesong.com/books/remember-how-i-love-you) sadly, she died just as the book was being published. (and don't forget that jerry was also the father in "dirty dancing.")

    ReplyDelete